I am an experienced competition economist and independent consultant, specialising in merger control and market inquiries conducted by the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA).
I help clients:
- analyse the competition effects of a merger in progress or a deal they are considering
- pinpoint the best economic analysis and evidence to support a case
- understand the UK merger control or market inquiry process and how best to engage with it
- assess the chances of regulatory intervention such as remedies or prohibition
- focus their case and avoid common pitfalls by drawing on best practice from past mergers or market investigations
- strengthen their case through critical challenge, by playing ‘Devil’s Advocate’ or by providing a second opinion
- prepare and rehearse for key case meetings
- train and coach their staff in competition analysis and case-making
My clients have included:
- merging parties
- customers of, or competitors to, merging parties
- companies considering alternative merger options
- companies involved in CMA market investigations
- competition authorities across Europe and beyond
I frequently work alongside other professional advisers.
Previously I was Head of Merger Economics at the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) and, before that, a Director at PwC.
Over the past 15 years I have advised on more than 500 merger cases argued in front of the competition authorities, as well market investigations in high profile sectors.
At the OFT I was closely involved in the development of the UK’s merger guidelines, retail merger guidelines and the approach to assessing mergers in ‘small’ markets.
I have trained competition agencies across the world through my specialist course in evidence-gathering skills.
Please click on the links below for further details of my services and experience regarding: